RE: Dirty Stuff

#1 von milocomarty , 27.06.2016 01:32

Got no idea where else to put this...

It's not only grasses and weeds I'm doing. Also a bit of weathering,something I really like.In the spare hours I'm working on a couple of projects. Having some MBW Spur 1 / Gauge 1 cars on hand I made a start on 2 of them. First coats are the fades, using a mixture of Vallejo Acrylic washes. White with some drops of the original color. Roof and additional straaks with several AK interaktive and Ammo enamel washes. Bit of Panpastels on the roof to..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Homepage: Link
Spurweite H0, H0e, H0m, 0, 1
Stromart DC, Digital

#2 von milocomarty , 28.06.2016 17:50

Well a little bit about the materials used. First layer with a wash to fade the color. I do not like plain whites on the redish boxcar tone so I used white combined with dark rust..

The roof is entirely done with an AK interactive paneliner in this case the one for wintercamouflage because I do like the somewhat greenish color..

Because this car is in serice for a short time I did cut back on the fades and stick with some plain dirt and streaks..cars in service dirty up don't they. Did use the AK interactive straking grime for panzer grey this time. The tone is more brownish..

Streaking and cleaning done with an odourless thinner..AK or Ammo doesn't matter wich brand..the are much softer then the ones in the DIY shop. You could buy one out of an artist range..

What I think is the advantage this enamel products have, they dry pretty fast but the can be worked on after they are dry. Even after a couple of hours. The door for instance I didn't like the looks so I went over it after the photo shoot. You can't do that with acrylics. Oils could be used but in this case I like the faster drying time of the enamel based paints..For now I do let them dry for 24 hours before I add another layer..Didn't shoot a picture of the looks of the door yet..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#3 von milocomarty , 29.06.2016 01:53

Well with a brush dipped in odourless thiiner, tipped on a paper towel to have it just a bit moist I reworked the door I didn;t like..

Pretty happy with it now..so I worked my way around the car..both ends and the other side with the same AK product..

Because of the Europ signage and the fact the car is build in 1960 and only 4 years in service before they changed it in to UIC markings I didn't wanna overdo this one.
Lined it up with the "53 build car..

With AK interactive interior streaking effects I added some dirt to these aluminium colored panels..

Also pinwashed a couple of the rivets with the same stuff..

Taking AK's Shafts grease and Bearings I added some grease effect on the wheelpods..

That's it for now..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#4 von Axel67 , 29.06.2016 06:45

Hi Martin,

that´s really a great result of your weathering. Congratulations!

Viele Grüße
Axel

San Romera - Inseldampfbahn am Mittelmeer:
https://sanromera.jimdo.com/

Der Bahnhof Gletsch im Modell:
https://gletschmodell.jimdo.com

Berninabahn:
https://mybernina.hpage.com/

Weinbergsbahn:
https://weinbergsbahn.jimdosite.com/

Axel67
InterRegioExpress (IRE)
Gleise Peco
Spurweite H0e
Steuerung Roco Multimaus
Stromart DC, Digital

#5 von hightower ( gelöscht ) , 29.06.2016 07:23

Hello Martin!

I saw your work just right now in the moment. It's awsome to see what you are doing with paint. I will stay tuned and set my bookmark here for this topic.

Eike

hightower

#6 von milocomarty , 30.06.2016 02:29

Vielen dank !!

Sneak peak...0 scale.

test car, the second for a fothcoming article..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#7 von milocomarty , 01.07.2016 02:16

Altere arbeit, anfang diesem Jahr, MBW 1 zu 32

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#8 von milocomarty , 04.07.2016 00:23

Consider the two scale 1 project done, some final thingies added..maybe I can go a bit further but you have to stop at a time..

Added some graese to the puffers, AK burned jet engine pigment combined withe the shafts and bearings grease..

The other car I used a new Vallejo product for grease spills..

this looks ok to me to, same on the puffers combined with the burned jet engine pigment..

For the rest I darkened the steel frame a bit more on this car, has seen longer service. Using Panpastel raw umber extra dark..

Well that's it for this project, have 4 more to go so I start on 2 soon..
In the mean time I'm also working on a couple of 0 scale cars, from a German company called Brawa. Very nice and detailed and the come these screw couplers you just hae to add..

Pretty much a basic coat on this one using AK and Ammo trackrust primers. Sprayed on with and airbrush.
And now the pretty one, cool car but so yellow it hurts the eye.

You can see the factory yellow on the inside, faded it with a Vallejo white wash

Added a basic pin wash with an Ammo wash for DAK..bit on the brown dusty side..

That's it for today folks !!

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#9 von milocomarty , 06.07.2016 01:49

Slow but steady progress, first layer on the sides is on, just a little detail to be added. Its a company car so it will be dirty but not neglected..just have to figure out what roof cover they used on a German G30..

Hier kan ich ein bischen hilfe gebrauchen, die frage was ist auf das dach einer G30 ?

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#10 von milocomarty , 08.07.2016 03:06

Simple weathering with pinwashes, used an Athearn RtoR boxcar for this that I bought cheap on an expo.
Although the car had a nice green finish I'm a strong believer that paint fades rapidly oer time. So to start the fade.
Step 1: Used a mixture of Vallejo wash white and olive green to mix a light green color to fade, applied it with nd airbrush in several thin layers using the air out of the brush to speed dry the wash. I own a couple of double action brushes.
Step 2: Overall finish with a satin varnish (also Vallejo in this case)
Step 3: Start to pinwash on al the cravets, rivets and other deeper parts with a dark wash, used Ammo wash for Nato camouflage in this case.
Step 4: Remove the excess wash with a damp brush dipped in odourless thinner and dapped on a paper towel to remove the excess thinner. Clean the brush on the towel when needed
Step 5: Add streaks already by using a wide flat damp brush and wipe it gently over the surface.

Car is ready for more weathering steps..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#11 von milocomarty , 09.07.2016 02:28

Rust, rust, rust, well somekind of it. First time ever I used plain artist oilpaints for this. Dabbed and streaked, and well here is the first result. Paint still wet and I have no idea used to acrylics how long t takes to dry ? What I do like that it is ery forgiven like the enamels and you can create very subtile paterns with it..just used burned umber and burned sienna. Could use a bit of raw umber and some yellow raw sienna perhaps ?

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#12 von CR1970 , 09.07.2016 07:57

Gefällt mir gut was du machst. Besonders der gelbe Wagen. Helle Farben sind meines Erachtens besonders schwierig zu altern. Das Dach des letzten Wagens ist mir allerdings zu verrostet. Oder ist es einfach nur braun?

Androide Grüße von CR1970

Andrà tutto bene und nette Grüße von CR1970
Mein Bahnhof Crailsheim um 1968...
Meine Videos findet ihr hier...

CR1970
ICE-Sprinter
Gleise Märklin K
Spurweite H0
Steuerung CS2
Stromart AC, Digital

#13 von milocomarty , 10.07.2016 13:28

Danke CR1970 ! Uber das dach dieser USA boxcar, die sind haufig sehr verrostet. Leider gibt es nicht zuviel bilder aber von was ich da so herunter lade sind die so schlecht oft das die hier nicht fahren mogen..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#14 von milocomarty , 13.07.2016 01:43

Consider this one done. Couple of pigments to the roof, mixture of Ammo, AK, Vallejo and stuff from the artstore. Bit of dust on the underframe with Panpastel en some streaks more with dark brown for green vehicles from Ammo.

Funny how the camera changes color with the same studio lights but a different background..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#15 von milocomarty , 14.07.2016 02:12

Next project on the bench, only 4 to do..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#16 von milocomarty , 17.07.2016 18:18

Slow progress on the coal hoppers. Drying times are the modelers worse nightmare. Added a bit of spotty rust on one of the black, now more greyish cars. The redish one I just had to try some basic fading and other soot and grimes with Panpastel only. Sealed inbetween with AK ultra matte varnish..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#17 von milocomarty , 23.07.2016 03:06

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#18 von milocomarty , 10.08.2016 02:24

So used to the Nikon D60 for years just with the original 18-55 kit lens that it's a though job goin through the menus of a D5300 and have the choice between a 60mm micro lens and a 18-105..but I start to learn..adjusting WB and so on to my prefered settings.

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#19 von milocomarty , 12.08.2016 02:08

Thanks guys !

Still ty to figure out how and what with this white balance. Gonna take some shots more I think to find out how and what to do about it. When I take the pre mode and measure the white balance with a grey card on the subject the color changes when I step back. The AF-S 60mm f/2.8G ED Micro is a fixed distance lens so I need to step back to get the whole subject. Well it's almost weekend and I'm pretty happy I shoot RAW to. Couple of shots to show the problem, and picture worked on with PS white balance done with "auto"mode. Pictures taken on a pure white piece of drawing paper with 2 softboxes loades with 4 105W daylight bulbs each..

Last shot is an original camera Jpeg.

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#20 von milocomarty , 13.08.2016 03:40

For a couple of days now I have this struggle with setting the white balance good for the new Nikon D5300. For years I do use the pre setting on my D60 and never had trouble like this or at least I can't remember that. So uesed to the camera that I layed down the grey cart, pointed shot and measured the white balance for decent pictures. Now with the upgrade in hands I can't find the right settings or not used to the camera I oversee something in the menu or the settings. Well for now I found a setting with 2 stops overexposed when shooting farder away. But see for yourself and make a comment how I can improve..I added 3 pictures one with the white balance setting and the exposure the meters in the camera says, and 2 with one stop overexposure each.

And to stay into the weathering stuff, these are shots of a new project on the bench. Scale 1 , or 1:32. Started to unscrew the undercarriage from the box and removed the wheels. The frame already has its first coat wich is a mixture of 2 brands primer, both Ammo by Mig and AK interactive make a good darker brown color primer wich I prefer to start with. Oh yeah, they are both named tracks primer..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#21 von milocomarty , 14.08.2016 03:59

Some thoughts. Well this white balance issue still bothered me so I decided to download the trail version of Lightroom CC and I must say I really like it. Still had an ongoing O scale project and I decided to work a bit on it and take some pictures afterwards.Can't tell too much about all the steps I took because of my publisher but I can show a couple of pictures taken in RAW and edited with Lightroom CC. Added the yellow boxcar as some kinda bonus with one of the featured settings used. Think I can make the copyrights a bit smaller..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#22 von milocomarty , 17.08.2016 21:15

Well guess I figured out the white balance thingies. Use an Expodisc 2.0 and must say not cheap but a great tool, and some white, grey and black cards. Did run these pictures through Lightroom and most of the time the white balance is pretty good but I just had to increase the exposure.With that set it's time to concentrate on the models again. Added some streaking grimes to the roof and a couple of pinwashes to enhance the details, bit of wheel splatter too..let the fun begin.

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#23 von milocomarty , 20.08.2016 02:24

Already weathered a couple of German boxcars in 1:32. Untill now all of these had a different year of build, slightly different design but do look almost the same. Plywood walls, aluminium or PVC roofing. Now on the bench a type Gmhs 53, what else, first year they build and delivered them hmmmmmmm let's say .'53 ? And with the Europ codes on the side it's not that old. Changed it in '61 to RIV codes I believe, correct me when I'm wrong. So let's say this one slipped through and didn't get the new codes. Customer rides between '55 and '70. Faded yeah , red-brown paint fades in 11 years time. Heavily rusted , guess no. Well maintained but never been painted again..maybe a small touch here and there but we'll see how that turns out. For now I painted the frame with 2 primers, AMMO trackrust and rust, nice dark brown, brownish colors like all the soot and dirt that goes on a boxcar frame. Added a couple of acrylic washes with a mixture of dark grey and rust thinned 50% with acrylic thinner just to darken it and enhance the details. Gave the springs a light rust wash, can't remember but I think around 5 layers. Remounted the upper body and started fading it, mixture of mat varnish, white and rust wash thinned 50% and spray painted layer over layer in random patterns. For todays last treatment I started with a grey acrylic wash and added some shadows and darkened the seams and the roof a bit. I'm a lucky guy for this one, can go as far as I want the customer says..

Same story on my blog https://dirtystuffbymartinwelberg.wordpr...car-in-scale-1/

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#24 von milocomarty , 22.08.2016 01:53

It's always a bit of a struggle weathering cars. The hardest part is where to stop. In this case I wonder if I didn't go to dark on steel beams on this car. After fading with a mixture of clear matte varnish, airbrush thinner, white and rust wash I made the decision to darken all the beams and other lines on the car with a dark grey wash. Maybe I should have used a lighter tone, maybe not. Maybe I can enlighten the overall appearance with some filters or try it with some oil paints. Well I finished these base layers with an overall spray of varnish and it's ready for the accents, streaks and other funny things that appears on boxcars used for quit some time. We see how it works out.

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#25 von milocomarty , 25.08.2016 01:44

Again a bit of work done on the German boxcar in scale 1, drying times are a modelers worse enemy !! Added two filters to tone down and blend the colors a bit, the harsh contrast is still a bit annoyance to me. Used a filter from AK for wood, wich has a brownish orange tone and afterwards I went over with a heavily thinned brown wash from the MIG productions line. Always easy to have a lotta stuff on hand. Let it dry for a day or so I went on and started on the doors with artist oil paints. Winsor and Newton oils blended with Ammo odourless thinner. Used a burned umber to try to get the brownish tone back this cars original have, with a bit of fade that is..

In case I forget to post, join me on my blog https://dirtystuffbymartinwelberg.wordpr...-boxcar-part-3/

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital