RE: Dirty Stuff

#26 von milocomarty , 06.09.2016 00:45

Traveled to a show in Hochdorf Switserland this weekend for some demonstrations of weathering techniques. As always I did have the problem what to bring and what to show so I ended up with 4 crates of material and 2 crates of rolling stock. My friend and Team Mitropa mate Erik Wieringa arrived after a 1,5 hour drive at my place where we enjoyed a coffee, packed the car and left at 8.30 AM. After a long drive we arrived at Hochdorf at 6.30 PM where we set up our gear for a 2 day show. The first day I did some fading on boxcars, added some oil paints on the German Gmhs 53 and started on the tank of the Lenz kesselwagen. Gave it a light fade with a light grey wash and some dark faded rust on the top with Ammo tracksprimer so I could get started on chipping the next day. With a lot of questions of the audience you never get as much work done as you wish, but hey that´s what you´re there for. Think I got the chipping done at the end of the day, started with a light grey color and finished over that with a Ammo chipping rust color. With the show closing at 4 PM and packed at 6.30 PM we decided to drive home. Leaving at 6 PM we finally arrived at my place ar 2.15 AM where we unpacked my stuff and Erik went home for another 1.5 hours. Respect mate !

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Homepage: Link
Spurweite H0, H0e, H0m, 0, 1
Stromart DC, Digital

#27 von milocomarty , 10.09.2016 17:53

Sneak peek for an article in the Dutch magazine Railhobby..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#28 von milocomarty , 17.09.2016 01:19

Kesselwagen..teaser for the Expo at Leuven Belgium

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#29 von milocomarty , 01.10.2016 02:00

Fades, chipping, washes and rust..all Ammo by Mig stuff. Not done yet..1:87 scale..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#30 von michl080 , 01.10.2016 11:11

Hi Martin,

really appreciate your pictures. I like that the dirt sits in the corners and not so much on the plain surfaces. Many weathering projects just use the airbrush which results actually in the corners being cleaner compared to the flat surface. And I like that you share the materials you use! Vallejo "73817 petrol spills" looks fantasitc!

Carry on, Michael

meine Anlage findest Du unter viewtopic.php?f=64&t=65847

michl080
InterCity (IC)

#31 von milocomarty , 05.10.2016 01:13

Danke Michael ! Verstehe, rede und lese Deutsch...

Couple of quick shots of the B&O boxcar. Worked my way around with the rust washes and added dust with pigments and Ammo nature effects light dust. Pigments added with a brush, sealed with pigment fixer with an airbrush in several layers. Light dust sprayed on in a light coat with the airbrush and faded and stroked with a brush moistened in odourles thinner..Quit for a couple of days now I think.

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#32 von michl080 , 07.10.2016 18:24

Zitat von milocomarty
[...]Uber das dach dieser USA boxcar, die sind haufig sehr verrostet. Leider gibt es nicht zuviel bilder [...]

Hallo Martin,
ist schon eine Weile her, aber ich habe ein Bild in meiner Sammlung entdeckt. Am Cajon Pass in Kalifornien gibt es einige Fotopunkte, an denen man auch die Oberseiten der Wagen sieht. Das ist fast genau der Typ, den Du gealtert hast.

Michael

meine Anlage findest Du unter viewtopic.php?f=64&t=65847

michl080
InterCity (IC)

#33 von milocomarty , 09.10.2016 18:42

Danke Michael, das sah gut aus, aber jetzt ist das bild wieder weg..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#34 von milocomarty , 21.10.2016 00:41

Enjoyed a trainshow in Belgium last weekend, De 8e Grote Modelspoorexpo 2016 at Leuven was a big succes with good layouts. Enjoyed the 2 days working on some cars and showing my weathering techniques presenting the products of Ammo by Mig to these train guys. Specialy the enamel washes are quit unknown to them and most spectators where stunned by the use and how easy they are to work with. For the rest no pictures but I did receive some Belgian diesels from a forum member to weather. Planning some nice photo shoots and some articles around them. Searching for some good prototype pictures right now..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#35 von milocomarty , 11.12.2016 03:35

It has been a while since I posted something about progress on the Gmhs 53 boxcar. Well it's almost finished now after a lot of filters, oil shading , grime, streaks and dust.Still need some grease on the axle bearing pods and a bit of rust on the suspension but for the rest I'm pretty satisfied with the result, dirty and dusty but not rotten.

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#36 von milocomarty , 14.12.2016 02:03

Sometimes I got the question asked do you work on commission after they see my work at shows. Well shure I do ! This time someone came to me at the expo at Leuven Belgium with a bright yellow boxcar for bananas. Sometimes I wonder if the manufacturers of rolling stock know anything about scale and color. Boy this car was bright, so bright yellow it almost hurt the eye. This made it a real challenge for me, tone it down a little with a couple of fades using the Ammo transparator medium for the first time. Couple of drops of white, bit yellow and a lot of transparator and thinner shaked well in a dropper bottle before spraying it on the car. After letting it dry for a day and a next coat with a satin varnish I put it away for a week to determine wat I would use on this car. Well decided to go with a wash for DAK, a bit brownish color for the pinwashes, wich let pop out the detail nicely. After that some streaking grime and a light spray of tracks primer on the undercarriage before I hit it with several pigments. Couple of rust tones to the springs and wheels set with streaking rust softened with odourless thinner, metal pigment on the buffers. Grease added to the bearing pods and puffers. Black and metal pigment combined with grease gives a nice result for the thick grease on the puffers in the real world. Pigments for dust on the undercarriage set with odourless thinner with the airbrush, manipulated with a brush and finally set with pigment fixer..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#37 von milocomarty , 16.12.2016 03:11

New project on the bench, a German Gmms 60 company car, just finished chipping..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#38 von milocomarty , 19.12.2016 01:20

Got a lot of questions asked lately about filters. What are they and what do they do. Well, filters are very thin paints, 10% paint and 90% dilutant and they change the overall color of the paintjob and unify the several dots and spots painted on the model. I did try to capture it in pictures. Did one side of this boxcar with 2 layers of filters, one with a blue green color and one with a light brown ochre color applied in 2 thin coats with a drying time of 24 hour inbetween.

with filters.

without..

with filters..

without..

as you can see the filters change the overall appearance of the car and blend all the painted chips more together and soften its look. Choose for a second filter to gave it a more overall dusty apperance..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#39 von milocomarty , 19.12.2016 18:36

So another project nearly finished, the German tankcar in 0 scale..still had to do the other side. Added several rust tones, streaks and so on. Bit of metal pigment on the handrails but I think I used to much..think I use a pencil next time..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#40 von milocomarty , 22.12.2016 01:53

Well, think I'm done. Just a few minor things on the puffers..added dust, splatter and so on. Pigments and enamel splatter stuff from Ammo used..think it's a lovely couple but the yellow one needs a bit of dust to..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#41 von milocomarty , 26.12.2016 03:25

Boring Xmass days are nice to model [:D] More work done on the green Persil boxcar. Bit of rust on the chipping. Not on the walls, they are plywood but just on the metal frame..Please don't comment on the huge couplers, they are still on because the come in very handy turning the car without touching the fresh paint. Next job will be the roof, sheetmetal. Guess I chip it lightly and add more dust and grime on it. As the sliding panels are aluminium I added some light chips to the to..finaly some dust and this one will be done..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#42 von milocomarty , 28.12.2016 00:42

Suffering a bad attack of the flue, feels like I'm hit by a truck. Still can't do nothing, guess it's not in my genes. More work on the Persil boxcar. Saw this video by Mig Jimenez using enamels over chipping medium on a zaku. Thought it could be used on a boxcar roof as wel. So I sprayed several layers of scratches medium on the roof followed by streaking grime for interiors because the greyish brown color suited the roof of a boxcar a bit more. After a short drying time I started chipping with plain tapwater..well I always use demineralised. Also added a bit of african dust to the lower parts streaked with odourless thinner, followed by a light mist of the same streaking grime for interiors..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#43 von milocomarty , 03.02.2017 01:49

Working on a really tiny car in H0 scale for a Belgian friend of mine. After all the scale 1 and 0 stuff I almost forgot how tiny 1:87 could be..Mostly used Ammo by Mig Jiminez enamel product..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#44 von milocomarty , 13.02.2017 01:14

There are a couple of projects I currently work on. A BNSF GP9 according to a prototype as well as a dutch railcar called DE 1. All project are photographed in step by steps for future articles.

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#45 von milocomarty , 15.02.2017 01:22

More teaser shots of the forthcoming article I'm writing, guess it wil be published in the dutch modelrailmagazine Railhobby.

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#46 von milocomarty , 21.02.2017 00:01

Final shots of the Dutch diesel railcar DE1 in red. Dirty after a week full service but not rusty and rotten.

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#47 von milocomarty , 19.03.2017 23:14

It has been a while since I worked on the USATC tanker, well I think I declare this little H0 scale car for finished, hopefully Big Mike likes it !!

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#48 von milocomarty , 09.04.2017 22:43

Well for me this NME getreidewagen Tagnpps is ready, hopefully this one isn't done to much. As part of a price you can win I hope the new owner will be happy with it..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#49 von milocomarty , 20.04.2017 01:09

Still working on the BNSF 6127, Start with a crappy iPhone picture on the Macbook, other shots are done with my normal equipment. Still a work in progress, I do like oil paints but the drying time, duh that takes a while...mostly these oil brushers used with some additional colors out of the tube. Airbrushed acrylics on the lower body and trucks..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital

#50 von milocomarty , 24.04.2017 01:43

What do you do on normal lazy Sunday, well I model a bit normal but not today. A real life spray job had to be finished. After 17.00 there was a bit of time left and I worked on a Belgian NMBS diesel reeks 55 for an article in a Belgian magazine. Still a work in progress. In the time in-between I tried to make a cardboard structure look like a concrete building. Laid my hands on some old Mig Production washes and had to try them..

Grusse Martin
www.martinwelberg.nl

milocomarty  
milocomarty
EuroCity (EC)
Stromart DC, Digital